Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Now even the Bear is rumbling...

Click here for the link

Now Russia has begun to take precautions against a possible war--of the nuclear kind--taking place on the Korean peninsula. Up until now, as I understand it, Russia has been a member in the international talks concerning North Korea's nuclear capabilities, but aside from that has been a silent spectator of the happenings. Until now. Officials say that "security measures" are being taken--I am not sure what that means exactly, but it is something Russia has not done--or mentioned doing before--in the past. The officials say, "We assume that a dangerous brinkmanship, a war of nerves, is under way, but it will not grow into a hot war,"and that "[r]estraint is needed." That is the sort of rhetoric I would use if I had to explain why I, all of a sudden, decided to make preparations against the effects of nuclear war, but did not want to start a panic. I do, however, sincerely hope that it will "not grow into a hot war."

No comments:

Post a Comment